Kuku Yalanji Indigenous Cultural Beach Walk
The Kuku Yalanji people are the traditional rainforest people of North Queensland. This fantastic Tour is 100% Aboriginal owned and operated. Departing daily at 9:30 am and 1:30 pm from Cooya Beach. This Tour commences at 1 Palm Court Cooya Beach.
The Kuku Yalanji people inhabitant the region from Cooktown in the north to Chillagoe in the West and Port Douglas in the South.
A traditional fishing ground of the Kuku Yalanji people is just 15 minutes north of Port Douglas.
To start with, you will meet a Kuku Yalanji Traditional Custodian for a rare insight into the Aboriginal Culture.
Discover how the Walker family continue to maintain their heritage, including their traditional hunting and gathering activities.
After explaining the cultural importance of this country, your guide will then introduce you to traditional spear throwing and fishing.
Hunt & Gather
Next, follow your guide along Cooya Beach through the mangroves and across mudflats observing cultural medicine and food plants.
Join your guides as they continue their daily hunting, including spearfishing and gathering of food for their families.
During this Tour listen to traditional stories about the land, family and heritage and see Kuku Yalaji artifacts.
Afterwards, the guides will prepare the food that has gathered, and you will all sample the delicious catch of the day.
A fantastic insight into the oldest indigenous culture on the planet!
“Protecting, Practising & Sharing Our Culture”
To view another Australian Indigenous Cultural tour, click HERE
Traditional fishing and gathering of food
- 09.30am Meet at 1 Palm Street, Cooya Beach
- Habitat Walk along Cooya Beach and through the mudflats
- 11.30am Hear stories and see indigenous artefacts while tasting your catch
- 12.00pm Approximately tour will finish
What to bring
- Hat, Sunscreen, Sunglasses
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Sense of adventure
How to get there
Head north past Port Douglas. You will turn right onto Boonie Doon Road about 8.3kms past Port Douglas Road turn off. Then turn right onto Melaleuca Drive and follow around to Bougainvillea Street to Palm Street.
Your tour meeting point is 1 Palm Street, Cooya Beach
- A medium to a high level of fitness is required for this experience.
- There are no refunds on this tour.
- Private tours are available.
- Easter Monday, Queens Birthday, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s day incur the Private Tour rate. Please ask us for details